Getting Ready For Holiday Parties is sponsored by Acorn Influence. All opinions are my own.
This is my favorite time of year. I love everything about the season except the cold weather. This year in NC we haven't even had to deal with that yet, so that's been nice. I don't know about you, but I enjoy the extra cooking, the gift buying, and, of course, the parties. Christmas parties are so much fun. Since we don't get to go to parties often, the Coast Guard Christmas party is always a great excuse to shop for a new dress, get nails done, and if I'm lucky a new pair of shoes.
To help you plan for your upcoming parties today, I'm sharing a few tips to help you prep for your Christmas party.
Getting Ready For Holiday Parties:
- Start with the dress code. This is SUPER important, especially if you're going to a Christmas party at church, work or with a military member. We live in an age where etiquette is often questionable, and I find it best to stick days of ole when it comes to the dress code.Formal (or Black Tie): Think Belle of the Ball! Floor length or tea length (hem is mid-calf and lower) is the way to go when choosing your dress.Semi-Formal (or Cocktail): Now this is where it gets tricky. You can always opt for your favorite little black dress but make sure to keep it classy by making sure the hem is no shorter than two inches above your knee. If your LBD isn't exactly what your looking for you can always opt for something in color and texture. My favorite are lacey dresses. You can go with velvet as well if that's your style. Semi-formal is also casual enough for a dress suit for women, but when I get a chance to wear a nice dress, you better believe I'm doing to take it!Business Casual / The Ugly Sweater Party: These two do not go well together, but that's what the dress code was last year. I opted for an ugly sweater because... FUN, that's why! Business dresses are not hard to come by and are much more affordable, so I find many companies are started to host business casual parties, to keep it simple just wear a dress or pants suit you would wear to work. If it's ugly sweater and business casual, try sticking to khakis or dress pants with the sweater.
More than anything try to express yourself. Show your friends, family, and co-workers who you are. Wearing a LBD? Show your personality with some colorful heels! Whatever you choose, make sure you're comfortable, the more relaxed you are, the more fun you will have!
- Shopping. Once you know the dress code it's time to go shopping (yes, you can shop in your closet if your budget is tight). I try to plan my outfit, at least, three weeks in advance. I want to make sure I have plenty of time to try on my dress and change my mind! Waiting until the day before is a bad idea. Finding the perfect dress and killer shoes can take time. Don't rush the process, enjoy it! When you go shopping for your party attire try to go ahead and purchase your dress, shoes, and accessories at the same time so you can see them together and make sure you have a completed look you love.
- Everything else. Once you have your clothes, your still only halfway there. I try to run through everything else a week before. If I'm planning to try new make-up techniques, I want to make sure I have the look mastered before the party. If I'm having someone else do my hair and make-up I go ahead and schedule those appointments. I also get my Mani/Pedi at least three days before. I hate waiting until the last minute to do things, can you tell?
- The smile. Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than her smile. You can go to a party wearing a five-year-old dress and as long as you bring that sparkling white smile along you'll be the most beautiful woman there. To make sure those coffee breaks don't keep you from showing your pearly whites in the Christmas photo booth you'll want to start whitening your teeth at home. I have tried those whitening kiosks and trust me; you don't need to waste your money!This year I opted for the Crest 3D White Whitestrips 1 Hour Express Whitestrips and they work fabulously! The week before the party I whitened my teeth, and I plan to do it again the day before. I don't like using whitening products the day of because you may have a few white spots on your teeth and they usually go away within a day or two. That's also another reason you'll want to test them out a week or two before your event, so you know how they work for you.The nice thing about this kit is that it comes with eight teeth whitening strip treatments (one upper and one lower) so you can use it as many times as you need to, to get the desired effect. You can also easily talk and even drink water while using them (water ladies, not coffee 😉 ).
This kit is so easy to use and much more convenient because you can do it in your home before your big night out. This season, Crest Whitestrips has a limited-time offer where you can buy one box Crest 3D White Whitestrips 1-Hour Express Teeth Whitening Kit at Walmart.com and get another for FREE! How perfect is that?!
- The attitude. The only thing that compares to the beauty of your smile is your attitude! If you're shy like I am, parties can be a cause of stress. Try not to overthink everything. You only have to mingle with strangers for a few hours, and who knows, maybe you'll meet some new friends in the process. Just be yourself, and try to have fun. Holiday parties only come around once a year, what do you have to lose?